Spain is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Madrid and Barcelona are the top destinations among visitors.
Spain is a spectacular country with excellent beaches and numerous beautiful places along the coast; Rias Baixas, Salou, Benidorm, Mallorca, Ibiza, Canary Islands, Valencia, Catalonia...
If you are looking for quietness, visit then Cadiz and Almeria, for there are some nice beaches in their surroundings as well as near Galicia, Cantabria or Euskadi perhaps. Crowded ones you will find on the Costa de la Luz and on the Costa del Sol.
Anywhere you go, you will not be dissapointed, for you will find only friendly people, wonderful places, splendid beaches, beautiful scenery and much more for your vacation.
Where to go?
Many tourists find Barcelona one of the most attractive destinations in Spain, not only for its beauty and extraordinary architecture, also because it is convenient to arrive to its airport and then get to the marina, which makes it easier to arrange your vacation. Costa Brava is a short sail away from Barcelona, and it is famous for its wild cliffs among small bays, towns and beaches. You can visit Cadaques, a small town on a hill with a beautiful panorama of blue coves and clear waters. Another interesting spot is surely Lloret de Mar, specially for those who are looking for entertainment, discoteques, night clubs, casinos...Costa Brava boasts of 26 ports and 100 anchorages. It is the opportunity to explore its unique landscape and splendid nature.
Balearic Islands are among the favourite ones when it comes to sailing due to their wonderful landscape, crystal waters and 300 days of sunshine a year. Ibiza and Formentera are famous worldwide as two islands of exciting nightlife and splendid beaches. Menorca, on the other hand, offers quiet and tranquil vacation in beautiful anchorages and coves. Cabrera is a National Park, thus one needs a special permit to visit. Finally Mallorca, the main sailing destination of the region, boasts of a spectacular scenery, interesting nightlife and architecture.
Costa Blanca offers stretches of beaches and coastlines. Valencia is its important center and starting base, with modern marinas and rich historical heritage (mostly Moorish culture). Denia with new marina that provides all the services boasts of sandy beaches and many coves along the coast. You can take part in various water sport activities. Alicante is a town of seafaring tradition, nightlife and sandy beaches.
Canary Island are located in the Atlantic and they are characterized by the subtropical climate. These islands have the exceptional scenery which makes your sailing vacation challenging. You only have to pay attention to strong winds. The islands consist of: Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote, Tenerife, La Palma, Gomera and Hierro, as well as of several smaller islands.
Let us say a few words about the most beautiful places in Spain:
- Barcelona – modern and cultural center with an impressive high standard. Visitors will be pleased to visit its its museums, theaters, art galleries, restaurants, medieval Gothic quarter with bars. The best time to visit this town would be spring, because of the pleasant climate. During the summer, many events take place there, so the town is rather crowded.
- Cordoba – with Mezquita, a mosque converted ionto a cathedral. It was the capital of highly civilized Arab state in southern Spain.
- Madrid – the most vivacious city in Spain. One must visit the Victory Arch, the royal palace and the Plaza de las Cibeles and Puerta del Sol with fountains, monuments and shops, museums then and galleries. On Sunday, visit the Rastro Flea Market. This town is always awake and never seem to close down.
- Mallorca – a Ballearic island with beautiful capital and harbour Palma on one side and secluded coves on the other side, green hills, marvellous beaches...a perfect resort indeed.
- Seville – an Andalusian city of flamenco and horses, an important cultural center in Spain.
- Valencia – though not crowded with tourists as some other cities, still it is a nice tourist resort with beautiful beach and night clubs which get crowded late at night.
Not all of these cities are located on the coast. However, they are really worthwile visiting. Anyway, as to the sailing area, we could distinguish Ibiza, Barcelona, Mallorca, Menorca which are pretty attractive for pleasant weather conditions, Canary Islands as well. For those who are keen on water sport activities, we suggest Tenerife and Lanzarote.
The most popular beaches in Spain:
- Costa de la Luz - long streches of sand
- Costa del Sol - sandy beaches, calm waters of the Mediterranean, sophisticated resorts
- Costa Blanca - turquoise water and white sand
- Costa Brava - coves and cliff edges
- Costa Verde - temperate climate
- The Balearic Islands- rocky archipelago
MORE ABOUT SAILING:
Bases in Spain
Spain is a beautiful country with so many options and possibilities for your vacation. You will certainly enjoy its wonderful scenery, interesting towns, find many splendid coves and beaches, both crowded and the most remote ones to enjoy your tranquil vacation.
Charter routes in Spain
You can choose among numerous charter routes lasting from 7 to 14 days, covering various popular ports and bases.
The Balearic Islands are located in the western Mediterranean. The islands are divided into two main groups; Gimnesias (Gymnesian Islands) and Pitiusas (Pine Islands).
Tourists are attracted by its mild climate, wonderful scenery, charm, monuments and intense marine activities.
Sailing vacation in Spain
Spain is a wonderful country with many different attractions; historical sites, beautiful nature, culture, beaches, sports, cuisine etc.